protect your home page section

If your home was built before 1978 and you have children ages six or younger, consider having your home tested. Exposure to dust from lead-based paint is the most common way to get lead poisoning.

FACT 1:Lead dust can be released when painted surfaces rub together, such as when doors, windows or drawers are opened and closed.
FACT 2:Home improvements that involve scraping, sanding or otherwise disturbing old paint can release toxic lead dust.
FACT 3:Just a few particles of dust from lead-based paint are enough to poison a child.


FAQs

Q. Where is lead paint found?
A. Lead-based paint is most often found on windows, trim, doors, railings, columns, porches and outside walls.

Q. What if I've repainted, and my windows and doors are in good shape?
A. Walls and other surfaces in good shape generally do not pose a risk. However, even surfaces that have been covered with new paint or some other covering can expose older lead-based paint layers when they become cracked or chipped, or when two painted surfaces rub together like when you open and close a window, generating dust that can get on floors, toys and other surfaces that children touch.

Q. Do I need to be concerned about lead in my home's water?
A. Lead in older pipes and plumbing can enter or "leach" into drinking water. Running the tap, using cold water for cooking using a filter can help protect your family. Learn more.